Veterans’ Week 2013 – How Will You Remember?
During this week, hundreds of commemorative ceremonies and events will take place across the country to recognize the achievements of our Veterans and honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
For more information please visit the Veterans Affairs Canada website.
Remembrance Day Ceremony at UBC
Since the opening of the War Memorial Gym in 1951, The University of British Columbia has held a ceremony commemorating November 11. This special ceremony is an opportunity for faculty, staff, students and members of the on and off-campus community to honour and remember all those who served in times of war, military conflict and peace. Everyone is welcome to attend this annual ceremony.
The ceremony commences at 10:45 a.m. and lasts for approximately one hour. Light refreshments will be served after the ceremony and all are welcome to stay.
During the ceremony, wreaths are typically laid by or on behalf of many organizations, all with connections to UBC:
- The Parliament of Canada
- The Constituency Office of The Hon. Christy Clark, MLA, Vancouver-Point Grey, Premier of British Columbia
- University Naval Training Division
- UBC Contingent Canadian Officers’ Training Corps
- Reserve University Squadron, R.C.A.F.
- 12 (Vancouver) Field Ambulance
- 196th Western University Battalion Association
- The War Amputations of Canada
- Royal Canadian Legion — Branch #142
- National Aboriginal Veterans Association
- Sir Arthur Pearson Association of War Blinded
- Royal United Services Institute of Vancouver
- The University of British Columbia
- Canadian Union of Public Employees – UBC Locals
- The Association of Administrative and Professional Staff at UBC
- UBC Alumni Association
- UBC Alma Mater Society of UBC Vancouver
- UBC Athletics
- Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity
- UBC Sororities
- RCMP – University Detachment
- St. John Ambulance – Division 998 UBC
- University Neighbourhoods Association
- Girl Guides of Canada – Mackenzie Heights District
- Scouts Canada – Pacific Spirit Area
- Scouts Canada – 24th UBC